Tall Timbers Update

We've started up our Georgia DNR road-cruise surveys this week, targeting some highly secretive diurnal snakes - the Southern hognose (Heterodon simus), and the ever so elusive pine snake (Pituophis melanoleucus).

Luck was on my side this week, the first snake observed during the first cruise was an adult pine snake. It's important to note that this find is not a measure of my skill, but immense luck. It was a pretty freak coincidence. Amazing! Some other reptiles have been observed, the Southern black racer and the corn snake being the most abundant. More observations include the Eastern mud turtle, yellow-bellied slider, and a gopher tortoise.

We're wrapping up our wetlands surveys, we haven't found any target species. Though, that was expected.

Still waiting on my Eastern diamond-back rattlesnake and/or mud snake!

I'm approaching the end of my employment at Tall Timbers, admittedly eager to get started at Texas Tech University. It's wild - I'm sitting here writing this, saying (typing?) that I'm starting grad school in two weeks at the same table where I used to study for the GRE, and apply to GRA positions. I'm writing from home in Russellville, TN, briefly grabbing some things before making the trek out to Lubbock. It's an interesting, yet empowering feeling.




Pine snake | Georgia




Comments

Popular Posts